A collection of learnings and opinions.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A small irritation in Visual Studio 2005

I'm from java-land, and I've been using Eclipse, IntelliJ Idea and NetBeans to do my development. Honestly, I was looking forward to working with Visual Studio once I got into .NET. I have to say, it's been a mixed experience. I'm probably using a tiny subset of its abilities, but there are some things about it that just drive me up the wall.

In particular I was trying to open several files/views at once in tabs, but the blasted IDE kept reusing my code-window! Argh! This is probably a minor point to anyone well versed in VS2005, but this is how you fix it:
Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Documents -> Reuse current document window, if saved (turn this off)


Oh, and make sure the window layout is set to Tabbed documents in the General section.

No comments: